My neighbor Lori, introduced me to the world of Dim Sum on Saturday. Jodi, Lori and I all sat down in Kent at the Great Wall Mall Imperial Garden Restaurant and tried out a new experience and had things like shrimp stuffed rice noodles, vegetable and shrimp stuffed brain balls and lotus leaves stuffed with rice. Actually I can't even remember but it was all quite delightful. Luckily Lori was there or we might have tried something like lizard head eye guts.
Dim Sum means "a little bit of heart" in Chinese so the waiters walk around pushing carts full of small baskets of delights, all handmade from the heart. I loved that we had to "make eyes" at the boy staff to get water refills and "make eyes" at the women to get more food.
Now, I thought lunch was fun, with the fact that you eat and such but little did I know that the Great Wall Mall itself, would be a way to curb my appetite to eat ever ever again.
Lucky for you, I have compiled a small review on how lovely all the food is there.
First I would like to bring to your attention the supreme organization. I think that this one might have gotten lost in translation somewhere because as you are cooking a nice stir fry with a little olive oil and rice, you can also find something tasty for your kanine friend. You have to admit, it does look a little like beef stew.
This is Vanna Jodi showing off her pick of the day. We thought this delicious jar of salted snake-head fish in brine would make a lovely white elephant gift at Christmas time. Just look below at the lovely color and scaliness.
I have never seen a dragonfruit before. Now I have.
And now you have too!
The assortment of "bananas" was awesome but I didn't quite know how to eat them so I passed.
I was especially amazed at the size of the pink Pomelos. They were indeed as big as my head. (I spent so much time in the produce that Jodi had to come find me and pull me away. I felt somewhat safer there and you will soon see why.)
I actually went in looking for oyster mushrooms for a salad recipe but found that even the fungus was growing fungus so I decided I would never eat mushrooms again...or salad for that matter.
These are long beans. I am still not sure where they came up with the name but I am pretty sure they were reaching for me as I walked by. I have goosebumps just thinking about these things.
Jodi's personal favorite-Farm Raised Bull Frogs at $6.99/lb. Unfortunately, as we were gawking, a guy wasn't too happy with us when he actually ordered some for real and we tried to back-pedal and sound intrigued by his interest.
Yes, I feel bad for these skinned beauties but I feel even worse for the guy who runs the bull frog farm. The thought just makes me want to croak. Croak? Get it? Sorry, that was a bad one.
They really know how to show off the best part of the marine life.
"Oh, hi, yes, I think I want some fish today but I was hoping for something a little more mutilated and maybe something with its insides hanging out?! Whiskers too! Perfect!"
The wide assortment looked a little fishy to me.
Some that will even watch you while you eat them.
I am right there with you buddy, my eyes would pop right out of my head too if I saw where I would be laid to rest.
The name of this rice cake is exactly how I would describe what it looks like. Because what do you get from a long-haired bovine after he rides a roller coaster? Yak Sick!
mmmmm.....Delicious!!!
But apparently it is not kosher to roast the intestines too so naturally you would throw them in some gravy and serve them separately.
Now....if there was one thing that I would NEVER in a million years try, it was this one...
PRESERVED DUCK EGGS
I am not sure if it is the purple hue or the jelly that it has become but I can taste the bile in my mouth even as I type this.
Luckily, if these eggs are your thing...they have plenty and they are low in calories!!
Then I thought that I had finally found something I might enjoy at a price I was happy with.
Coconut Cakdy could be my new favorite!!
However, it was priced "right" because the expiration date was somewhere back around the time when those duck eggs were fresh.
They were awful. I might have eatin' a duck egg to get rid of the coconut after-taste.
Then again, maybe it isn't candy at all but cakdy like they said and who really knows what that is?
Just add carrots and marshmallows and you have a quick potluck dish your whole family will love!
The tapioca pearls were huge! I was actually thinking that once these are reconstituted, they might make a pretty decoration in a vase. No? Maybe not.
Squid Balls. Uh.........whu.........I..........I, I give up.
I almost bought these for my dad who hates watermelon but loves licorice. I make a watermelon believer out of him after all.
What I loved about this store, especially since I am a coupon guru, is that they run such awesome deals. Where else can you get an $88 gift card for just $86? I almost bought one just so I could save $2 later. But then I realized I wasn't spending the required $35 minimum to qualify so I left a little bummed out.
I felt like I was in a different world. Jodi and I laughed irreverently the whole time so if you are looking for a cheap date night...this is the place to not spend money and NOT eat.
What a culture shock. If I ever get to travel the world, I am leaning toward something exotic like Montana or Idaho. They don't have a lot of squid there.
6 comments:
Wow Rachel, I have a strong stomach and this post grossed me out! And on on your next trip to Montana don't forget to try as hearty helping of rocky mountain oysters, they're delicious!
Ha! That was very informative. Thanks for the tutorial. I wish I could've been there to laugh irreverently with you. I'm sure it was a great time! I miss you!
i have shopped here before, but I agree it is weird. How did you walk around getting all those photos though? You crack me up!
At first I just glanced through the pics and thought you had gone to Singapore :)
Hee hee! I'm totally laughing reading your account of our trip. Love it!
I'm one of Lori's sisters and I envy your trip! I love most of the foods you were weirded out by (except the coconut whatevers).
I'm happy that you all had a good time and I enjoyed your writing and pics. It's a warning to be careful when you go out to lunch with Lori. She's tricky!
Tracy
Post a Comment